Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Scrappy Quilt Complete



2 years in the making this quilt is done!

Phew!


This has been my longest project, and definitely the largest in volume! 

Although I started out with much gusto, spurred on by the quick sewing of Deb and Clare who seem to whip quilts up over night, it turns out that no matter how motivated, sewing little 2.5inch squares in rows and blocks is bloody boring. 

So much cutting, so many tiny seams, so much ironing, arranging, mess.



However, over the years I've been learning perseverance, and also I must be upping my standards.

 What would have been "fine" is no longer "fine", and I found myself unpicking 24 meters of top stitching of the quilt top so that I could hand stitch it again. My machine quilting skills were below par, and after musing over it, I set about with the un-picker and spent another month unpicking and restitching by hand for a much nicer finish. 


 All that to say, even though I cursed and loathed this quilt, and went through the 5 stages of grief over it, I eventually came to love it (stockholm syndrome?), and wanted it to look its best. And, it was really great having a project handy that I could pull out whilst watching tv, or something to sew in the sunshine.

I absolutely love the binding, the backing, the bright colours, the yellow thread, the flowers, the spots, the patterns...

I might even go so far to say, I miss creating it.

But now I have a bright and happy quilt to keep our family warm, and the satisfaction of creating something that has a purpose and is of use to our family is at an all time high.


2 years ago to the day I wrote this Guest Blog Post on Debs Blog, so today I am calling it Finished! Done! 

Thank you for the box of scraps Deb, and for the endless amount of inspiration!

And here's looking at you Clare, for all those tidy rows of squares. Keep on stitching, Sister! 

READ MORE:

5 comments:

  1. This is so so beautiful! Blankets are awesome keepsakes. Well done for persevering! I would love to make one one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a masterpiece - love the finished product Sophie. I too will never quilt again - I made one each for my (adult) offspring and that was IT!!! rows and rows of tiny squares - not my idea of pleasure, so I totally appreciate this beauty.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay - well worth the sweat and tears - it's beautiful - well done!

    ReplyDelete

Wowee! Thanks for leaving a comment :)

Pin It button on image hover